Kevin Woolworth has been busy this year working for Dance Marathon.
As one of the co-fundraising directors for Dance Marathon, Woolworth has been planning multiple fundraising events throughout the school year to prepare for Huskerthon, a 12-hour event where participants dance and raise money for Children’s Hospital & Medical Center in Omaha.
“The organization never stops. Some people think it’s one day a year, but for those that are directly involved, it’s a full year,” Woolworth said.
This upcoming week is no exception.
February 3-7 is Miracle Maker Appreciation Week for Dance Marathon. A miracle maker is someone who fundraises and attends Huskerthon as a dancer. To be a miracle maker and participate in Huskerthon, students have to raise $100.
“There’s multiple different events coming up this next week, which is hopefully going to build more fundraising and awareness,” Woolworth said.
The events held during Miracle Maker Appreciation Week are:
- Monday, Feb. 3 – Mr. UNDM. This event is an all-male pageant where contestants will answer interview questions, be judged on an outfit of choice and will compete in a talent portion. This event will be held in the Ballroom at the Nebraska Union and is open to the public. It’s free for students who are registered for Huskerthon, otherwise it’s $5. Doors open at 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 4 – Dance Marathon awareness booth at the Nebraska Union from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 5 – Miracle Mixer. This event will be at the Nebraska Union in Regency Room B and C from 7 to 9 p.m. for participants and the public to come and learn more about the organization. There will be a panel of executive members who will be able to answer questions.
- Thursday, Feb. 6 – Benefit night at Junction Nightclub and Shot bar from 9:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. The proceeds from the $3 cover and $1 from every lemon drop shot ordered will be donated to Children’s Hospital and Medical Center in Omaha. Must be 21 or older.
- Friday, Feb. 7 – Huskerthon theme reveal party. The Huskerthon staff will reveal the theme for Huskerthon 2020 at the Nebraska Union Ballroom. There will also be free food, a silent raffle and, of course, some dancing. This event will be from 6 to 8 p.m.
“Usually our events are very heavy on recruitment and fundraising, but because it is Miracle Maker Appreciation Week we’re trying to take a step back from that,” Madeline Mohatt, executive director of Dance Marathon, said. “Rather than pressuring people to actually do something we just want to recognize them for all that they actually have already done.”
Huskerthon will be on Feb. 29, in the Nebraska Union from 12 p.m. to midnight.